Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

So, yesterday, we got to go see this movie. We loved it. Caedyn's read both books - 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' and ' Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator' (both by Roald Dahl) - so I felt like we were taking an expert.

First of all, anyone who is a big fan of the first movie with Gene Wilder might balk at Depp's portrayal. He's a little less 'whimsical' and a little more 'not quite sane'. It's a Tim Burton film, so you pretty much expect it to be a little darker, but you can't walk in expecting to compare the two films. Burton says they tried to stick close to the book. When I asked my expert if they did that, he said, "I guess" which I'm assuming is a resounding "kinda". Guess I should read the books and stop relying on my expert for in depth conversations about movies for another year. :)

I absolutely loved it. Depp impresses me often with his ability to make you forget you're actually watching him. He's a great character actor. The oompa-loompas provide a few good laughs to offset some of the more serious themes with hilarious renditions of the oompa-loompa songs and a portion of just plain silliness.

It'll be worth owning when it hits dvd. :)

No comments: